Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Époisses de Bourgogne (Burgundy)



I bought Époisses de Bourgogne only once. The cheese was very expensive and was available for a short period of time.
It is said that Napoleon Bonaparte loved it. It's hard to write a review of the cheese if you haven't tasted it a few times. Sometimes my sense of taste cant't appreciate such a complex cheese. I hope I will be given a second chance to recognize how really good is Époisses de Bourgogne.


There are a few factors which tells me that I should love the cheese. It is artisanal made in France from a pungent unpasteurized cow's milk. The cheese mature in cellar for at least six weeks. During the process,  is rinsed up to 3-5 times per week in a mixture of water and marc de Bourgogne (local pomace brandy). Each cheese is also brushed by hand to spread the bacteria evenly over the surface.The intensive orange-red exterior is the result of yeast fermentation. The stinky rind covers meaty,salty, pudding-like interior.

Époisses - I'm waiting for you!




No comments:

Post a Comment