Monday, October 17, 2011

Blue Stilton ( Leicestershire, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire)

When I tasted  Blue Silton for the first time, I was positively surprised by the mellow flavor and creamy and slightly crumbly texture with fine blue veining . Eating Blue Stilton is like enjoying an exquisite dark chocolate.They yellowish  rind around the cheese is marked with white patches  and becomes brown, coarse and crusty with age. Young Stilton has mild flavor but mature has strong aftertaste (and makes me thirsty).

Stilton is known as the King of English Cheese and it rightfully wears the dairy crown. It is the only British cheese graced with its own certification trademark.
Stilton is named after a village in Cambridgeshire where the cheese used to be made and sold to travelers at an in inn there. It was invented by a woman:  Mrs Frances Pawlett of Wymondham, near Melton Mowbray in Leicestershire. She was  a supreme cheese-maker and Stilton ( Britain's first blue cheese) constitutes a proof of her skills. I'm very happy to find out about  that woman. I had always connected the art of cheese making with men.



1 comment:

  1. I have to say that the best Blue Stilton I've had is the Thomas Hoe Stevenson. It has the sharp Stilton flavor but is aged to finish mellow and sweet. It's hard to find but so worth it.

    ReplyDelete